Friday, February 8, 2013

finish it up friday - walnut pincushion

finished :  A new pincushion.  The spools are held in with elastic, so if I get tired of the red pokadots (mama said sew by sweetwater), I can flip it over and . . .






 I have a blue pincushion!  I followed a tutorial I previously made in this post.



I found my walnut shells at Petco.  A 7 lb bag was $10.  I love the weight it gives my stuffed items, and it sharpens my pins.  They have several options there, be sure to get pure walnut shells, with nothing else added in.


Also this week, I've been working on one of my first quilts.  It has sat in a closet for several years because all I could see when I looked at it was my mistakes.  After reading Angela Walter's book on free motion quilting, I have decided to re-work that quilt.  I'm so excited!  Here are a few of the first areas I've worked on:









I'm moving forward on finishing Skyfall's top.  Maybe I'll finish just in time for the release of the DVD!!  (pre-ordered . . . DONE).  I've finally figured out a plan for the borders.



Linked:

finish it up friday  . . . thanks AmandaJean.



 


14 comments:

  1. So glad to know where to get those walnut shells. I've read how they sharpen the pins and mine need it! Love your clever cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pin cushion is adorable and sew useful. I love the Skyfall quilt! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog and leaving a kind word ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pin cushions - and I love the progress on Skyfall. This is going to be a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute little pin cushion, I will go look at your tutorial next! The green leaf print in your first FMQ photo.... I made my dining room curtains out of that same fabric. It's one of my favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pinchusion.
    Thanks for information about walnut shells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun pincushion. Good luck on the rest of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks for the tip on where to get walnut shells. LOVE the Skyfall top - don't you think Adele just nailed that theme song? They couldn't have chosen a more perfect artist for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the pincushion. Great finishes.
    Thanks for sharing. You inspire.
    I am following in my little Blue Slippers.
    Have a good week,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pincushion is beautiful, and so useful! Good work on the other projects, too! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pin cushion! I've made two. They are so useful I noticed that you had wooden spools. Where do you find those or did you have them and then rewound new thread onto them? I have to get that book for machine quilting. Your machine quilting looks like it was done by hand, so nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading your feedback :)