Friday, April 1, 2016

varsity plus in gray


stats:
38 x 42 washed.
fabric - varsity by sweetwater
batting - Winline 80/20
quilting is organic straight line



The colors in this sweetwater line are very similar to their "reunion" line, remember those fabrics?  tanner reunion,  reunion at midnight  and  raggy squares, yea, I think we all went a little crazy on that line.  I still have a dresser full of it, for the future :)



Several posts ago, I talked about a new binding method.  My quilting friend, Christine, introduced me to this new modern look. 


 There are so many reasons to be in love with this modern binding . . .



 If you look close, you will see that the binding is stitched down (with gray thread) in a running stitch.


This quilt is bound in turquoise, very similar to the binding color.  Either the contrast or the same color thread look nice . . . home made.  








binding tools:
(I used those surgical scissors this week to pull out stitches, eek! . . . purchased at market)



even with a thimble, I still feel like I need to use these for gripping the needle.  I wear them on my thumb and index finger and the thimble on my middle finger.  That's just my preference, it's so individual.



Have you seen these darling tulip packages in the quilting stores?  their marketing is brilliant . . . them and Target.


They have a large eye, they're warp resistant an run smoothly through the fabric.



 I use Gutermann's hand quilting thread from the big box sewing store.  It's thick and sturdy.


linked:
finish it up friday
frenzy friday
fabric addict

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely finish. Love the addition of the hand stitching on the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the grey background, so warm and practical. I've not seen hand stitching on binding before but it adds another dimension. BTW Jen Kingwell uses millers straw needles for hand quilting all her quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plus quilt! This size would make a great baby quilt! I must try that binding method. I have seen something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely finish on this quilt and the binding does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.