Friday, May 17, 2013

noteworthy plus

Thank you once again, Amy, for sharing your quilting AND computer talents, enabling us quilters to come together and SHARE!!!

In my house, we make "New Year's Resolutions" (so to speak) the day after the Blogger's Quilt Festival.  My physical and mental calendar evolve around this 6 month plan.



I've named this quilt "noteworthy plus".





the back.




 The fabric is "noteworthy" by Sweetwater.





This is a variation of Cluck Cluck Sew's "INSIDE OUT"  pattern.  You can find it in her pattern shop here

The pattern uses 5 inch squares, but I wanted the plus signs to be bigger, so I started with 7 1/2 in. squares.  If you're looking at the pattern, substitute the following cuttings:

1st cut - 3.75"
2nd cut - 2.50"
3rd cut - 3.75"




I love the back:

It's created from a pile of "discard" strips from the cutting phase, and the yellow square that was just too much yellow for the front.  



the contrast is interesting . . . circles, straight lines . . .




 notice how much your quilting shows up in a large negative space?



Quilted with a DSM (not the mental disorder).  I won't do it again unless my life is threatened.  Yes, I turned the whole quilt around in circles LOTS of times.  And since I was impatient and not careful, it looks organicly organic :)   



Next time I will use my HQ Sweet Sixteen.  If you ever have a chance to sew on one at an International Quilt Show or at your local quilt shop, I highly recommend it.  It's just plain fun.



pictorial process:

making adjustments
(don't let your middle schooler say "why do I have to learn this stuff? . . . I'll never use it!")



cutting



piecing



marking




quilting



quilting some more




quilt stats:
55" x 65" (washed)
42 - 10" squares 
border made from 2.25" binding strip (from my stash)
fabric is Noteworthy by Sweetwater
negative space is kona white
bamboo batting (Joann's)
"throw" size







enjoy the other quilts:




YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY . . .

calico calvin

monaluna log cabin

sunkissed sally


20 comments:

  1. Love your quilt. I have that pattern....thank you for the larger cut sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! It looks so soft and cuddly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from Amy's Quilt Festival. Love your quilt, it looks soft and comfy. Thanks for sharing all the details. I'm a big fan of Allison at Cluck Cluck Sew too! For my entry I used her raw edge circle pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's gorgeous but the back of it fills me with an indescribable glee...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you quilted this with the circles. And the back-oh how much fun is that back. Oh and I love Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew funny enough my entry is a quilt made with one of her patterns and I've seen several others with the reference while looking at the festival quilts. Good thing her patterns are on sale this week cause I have a few more to add to my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful. Especially with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! That's a great back! Wonderful quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt, love the fabric you chose, and the pattern you used. I agree with the others, it looks so nice and soft and cozy. I love what you did on the back as well, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just so beautiful. I am so in love with those quilted circles, but I don't see how you didn't go completely crazy with all of that turning! The result is worth it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful quilt. I have been looking at the Sweet 16 machine for a while. I will have to give it a try on one of my trips to my LQS. Love the quilted circles on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda! I love that one! Hadn't seen it yet. It's Lovely and gorgeous! You did it again!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These fabrics look great in your quilt. I am stunned by all the quilting you have done. It looks wonderful. It's a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is just beautiful! I am blown away by it and I love the quilting you have done, just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful piecing and quilting! I made a similar one using a layer cake of Bliss a while back, and it's still one of my favorite quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely soft colours and the circle quilting looks great

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful quilt! I love how the quilting of the concentric circles really pops on the white fabric. LOVE the back!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful quilt! Great job!!!

    Esther
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great quilt! We are your newest members of your blog! Come follow us back:

    quackadoodlequilt.blogspot.com

    Thanks!
    Anna and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely quilt! I do love noteworthy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.