Thursday, January 15, 2015

plane quilt flip chart

"Doe" by Carolyn Friedlander just out in online stores.  (can you tell she's an architect by trade???) 


I couldn't find a good pattern or tutorial for this plane pattern.  I hope I don't have to make another one.   I made 2 blocks to get down the measurements of the pieces before mass producing.

 here was my process:



after making 2 sample blocks, I was happy with my meaurement (except for that wing piece at the top, I ended shaving a good inch off the the width, making it skinnier lengthwise)


body
fold fabric in half








This part was tricky.  I did a lot of unpicking.


 "make big enough to trim to size" seemed to be the trick until I got the system down.



 wings


 Originally they were too thick.  I had to trim them down so do not use above picture as a measurement.


nose:
I didn't want a flat nose.  This angle with my ruler was just right.  Fabric is folded.


 press one side



 lay onto  your backing fabric


 pin right sides together


 sew (lots more unpicking)


 trim other side before adding backing fabric











 make the first one large and cut down to size until you have your measurements right.




 sew strips together


 finished block  -

to see post on finished quilt, go here.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, thank you for those pictures! Very inspiring!
    I took the liberty of linking to this article on a French quilters forum. I hope you don't mind. If you do, let me know and I'll remove the link.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.