Tuesday, January 6, 2015

a year of quilts

I loved seeing all the "2014 year of quilts" posts on InstaGram.  So, of course I had to try it.  (any reason for a quilt photo-shoot, right?)



this does not include a boat quilt, or "trip around the world quilt.  It doesn't include any play quilts, ruffly pillow cases, doll quilts, buntings or pincushions, or heming or mending (bleh!).  You can see the posts on these quilts if you go to the "finished quilts" tab at the top of my blog.  


This week, I've been hanging some mini's on walls.  If they're small, say 24 inches or less across the top, I take the lazy way out and I cheat and use clear push pins.



 If you put them right up in the corners, you don't really notice them.  (this is my Heather Ross Sampler)


More than 18 to 24 inches, and you really need to make a sleeve to go across the top, or your quilt will sag. (what it eventually looks like if your pin is not in the corner)


This is the boat quilt that lives out of state and didn't make it in the "2014 quilt" photo shoot.  


I'm trying a new method for hanging larger mini's, 

 by sewing on several "Command Strips" along the top .


 Press backing onto the piece you just sewed on.  Peel off and stick to wall.


You can put some on the bottom, but I prefer to just let it hang naturally.  


WIP:
works in progress for this week include,
piecing this back:


for this grandson,



 for this airplane quilt (more on that in a future post, including tutorial)
It features "Doe".  Carolyn Friedlander's newest line.  I JUST got an email from Fat Quarter Shop telling me that it's now available for retail in their store, here.   You can see more pictures of this fabric in this post.  It's a great line for those of us who have to watch our florals (if you know what I mean).


This quilt was supposed to be a Christmas gift.  It'll now be a Valentine's gift :)   Also featuring Carolyn's line, something about "architexture".


linked:




9 comments:

  1. I love that first picture. Such beautiful quilts. And I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who has used push pins for some mini quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic of all your quilts! Last year was very productive by the sound of it! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We use the Command strip trick on our quilts at the shop, but we hand sew them all on. Perhaps I can talk my boss into letting us use the machine!

    All of your quilts look lovely. Sweet eye candy on a cold winters day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful line up of finished quilts! You had a fabulous year. Here's to a wonderful 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use pins (metal only). The pins use use in sewing, garment making etc. i hammer them in the edges at the binding. Pins can hold up to 7 pounds. I hang pictures with pins also. It leaves tiny little holes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put command strips on,but found one can see the stitches on the other side

    ReplyDelete
  7. When sewing on the Command strips, did you sew around all sides, or just the end shown in the picture, thanks Gabriele Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gabriele, I sewed the strip down on 3 sides, the 2 short sides and the long one around the edge. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.