Saturday, June 23, 2012

easy "fishing line ruffles"

I made dust ruffles last week for the first time in ages.  I started out the traditional way, sewing 2 long stitch rows close to the edge, tying knots, pulling strings, hoping that none of them would break.




Then suddenly, I had a flash back and it all came back to me . . . FISHING LINE!!!  I quickly pulled it out of the kitchen drawer where I use it for making cinnamon rolls.



Here's how you do it: 

Lay your fishing line along your sewing line: (these pictures are from a different project)




 Leaving a good 6 inch tale out the starting edge:






 Sew a long, wide zig zag stitch along the edge of your fabric, feeding your fishing line down the middle.  When you get to the end, gather your fabric along the fishing line. 


I like to attach one end to my sewing project with a clamp, then gather fabric along fishing line to desired length.  Attach other end with a clamp (be sure you grab the fishing line).   Sew gather to your project.   Pull out fishing line.  If you're careful, you can re-use the same piece of fishing line over and over.   EASY PEASY!!!




Finished dust ruffle:



I hear that there are lots of ways to make gathers.  Please leave me a comment if you have any tricks.  



FIRST GRAND-BABY BORN !!!
Yes, I know, he is the cutest :)

6 comments:

  1. Can you quilt and hold beautiful grandson at the same time. ?

    Enjoy ,
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Congratulations!

    The girls picked out a maiden hair fern to give to their dad for father's day (he likes to keep plants in his office) and I thought of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilt while holding grand-babies? I think that's why God made women multi-taskers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice ruffle bed skirt and adorable grand-baby! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great tip! And, yes, that is the cutest grandbaby ever - at least until mine are born!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweet grand babies! He looks quite like you!! I will remember this tip, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.