Thursday, April 20, 2017

pink gingham & family history

This post is really about this pink gingham baby quilt, but I have to tell you about where this picture is taken.


I love the whole process of making a quilt . . . but that's not the end.  After it finally comes out of the dryer, it enters the documentation phase, which includes a photo-shoot.  And the location of the photo-shoot can't just be against the neighbor's fence or anywhere else I've used before.  So, when I'm driving along the countryside, I keep an eye out for prospective locations.  


This old farm is literally a couple miles from where I was visiting last month.  When we knocked on the door to get permission for a photo, I found out that the owner's grandparents on both sides were the founders of the local town and neighboring town. The original part of this house was on the right.  Then, in the early 1900's, they added the 2 story onto the left!  117+ years old!  I could have talked to them all day, learning about their German Heritage and how they got to Texas.  I couldn't resist telling them about all the recent indexing of old records that has transpired in the past few years, and a few sites where they could find more of their lineage and family history.  I just can't resist hearing the story behind old stuff.  #lovethegate!!  




For this baby quilt, I was given this rifle paper co. by cotton and steel for the backing to a gingham quilt.  





I found the perfect 2 pinks using my Kona Color Card.







Do you have your new Stripology Ruler yet?  I promise, it's the best invention since sliced bread!  Mother's Day is right around the corner.  Cutting for this quilt lasted a few minutes . . . literally.



Stack and sew in process . . .





stats:
37 x 43 washed
4 inch squares
Kona: peony, carnation and pfd
back is: Les Fleurs by Rifle Paper Company for Cotton and Steel
batting is 80/20
owner: RosieJane




 

linked:

finish it up Friday
whoop whoop
tgiff

10 comments:

  1. I bet that old house has a lot of stories in it. I'm glad to read you like the stripology ruler since I've been looking at that. I'm curious if you had trouble with it slipping around? My hands are pretty small, and sometimes I just can't keep my rulers from slipping a bit. Precuts are nice, but you have so much more design freedom when you cut the fabric yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the gingham quilt, but what a plus you found in that old house-soooo cool!
    We recently had Gudrun come to our guild for a presentation, so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty finish. I love the photo shoot image - works so well with your beautiful quilt. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! Your backing choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great snuggle quilt. Gingham is a favorite of mine, but I have never made it. I must get out of my rut and get going on the solids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you want the best treatment for your hair fall problem then you need not to style your hair with tight braids. Handle your hair with proper care and you will the get the positive results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful finish! I love the transparency effect with the different solids and the floral backing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt! Both the front and the backing are quite special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone loves my style choices. šŸ˜

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am finishing up a baby quilt for a shower upcoming on Thursday - hope to post mine by tomorrow.
    Love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.