Friday, March 24, 2017

i-spy value quilt

This was a great scrap buster quilt.  


Our grandchildren get a quilt the year they turn 3.  This grandson is getting this i-spy quilt.



There are 2 triangles of each fabric, so he thinks it's a matching game.  And that's what we play when we're together.  I love to hear that he sleeps with it every night.

stats:
washed 80 x 96
8 inch blocks from my i-spy stash
120 blocks
quilting is random circles and lines
Warm and Natural batting










3 year old Aaron's favorite thing in life is basketball.  He was thrilled to see all these basketballs on the back.


I experimented with some white pearl cotton.  My bobbin thread was dark gray.  I had to do a little adjusting with the tension, otherwise, it worked great.


 I quilted his name on this gray section before piecing the back together, because I didn't want the pearl cotton stitching to show up on the front side.  After quilting, I cut most of the batting it off on the back side, except where I had quilted his name.  Then, I pieced the back together and sandwiched the quilt together in preparation for quilting.  So, his name actually has 2 thicknesses of batting.


I watched some videos about ruler techniques on youtube with Angela Walters before starting this quilt.   I still have a hard time with anything but a straight ruler since you're constantly changing what direction your hand is putting pressure on.  So most of the circles were drawn on with a disappearing pen. 



linked:





13 comments:

  1. That is cute too cute, and I'm sure it will be treasured for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea to use HSTs in an I-spy so it can be a matching game! SO clever and cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! What a great twist on a traditional eye-spy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilt and great idea. I had started with some half square triangles of my children's types of fabrics but hadn't thought of your great layout. Might give that a try. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet! And such a great idea to have two of each for a matching game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a wonderful quilt. I am not surprised that he is pleased. Love the way you used the fabrics in the design. What fun to put the basketballs on the back and to include his name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I love the matching block I-spy quilts as gifts! Love that you used pearl cotton in your Sweet Sixteen for his name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic work! I love that he uses it as a matching game - what a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great quilt! I love the bigger blocks that show off the fabrics! And a matching game too!! Awesome!!! I love how you did his name too - great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! Great idea for the HST! Our 3.5 yo great grandson would love one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful quilt and fun game! No wonder Aaron loves it. You bless your family in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.