Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sunkissed binding w/ SIMPLI-EZ Bias Ruler

TRICKS/HELPS:
Have you discovered the SIMPLI-EZ Bias RULER by Susan Brown?  You will love it!  I learned about it while browsing through the tutorial videos at Missouri Quilt Star Company.  Here is their "how to" for this product.

It folds in 1/2 for easy storing.  You can adjust it to accommodate the desired width for your binding.   After cutting the strips, I stack 3 or 4 at a time to trim the edges.

TRICKS/HELPS:
My binding preferences are:
Warm and Natural cotton batting:  2 1/4 inches.
50/50 Bamboo, Organic Cotton blend:  2 inches

Bamboo batting isn't as thick as cotton, so you can handle a thinner binding. 
The ruler will give you strips 2 feet long.  Trim the edges as shown, including the flat tip.

Match up 2 strips as shown, and sew along the diagonal with a scant 1/4 inch seam.

Don't worry if they don't match up exactly.  Starch, press and add binding to your quilt.

ADVANTAGES OF BIASED BINDING:
I'm not a big fan of having a ton of tools but this one is a must for me.  A bias binding is no harder to make for me than a straight or cross grain binding.  It takes no more fabric because you don't have to square up your fabric and you can use the trianglar edges for binding as well.

A bias binding gives a little, making it easier to work into your quilt.  If your quilt has curved corners or scallops, you definitely want to use a biased binding.

It adds a diagonal interest to binding edge of your quilt.

A Bias binding will wear longer than straight binding since it has multiple rows to wear through along the edge, definitely a consideration for bed quilts or children's quilts that will get a lot of wear.

I found mine at Joann Fabrics.




YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN:

Susan Brown Bias Ruler


2 comments:

  1. I need to get me one of those! Do you hand sew the binding to the back or do you machine sew it to the front with a decorative stitch? Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a hand sewn binding. I baste it on with the biggest stitch my sewing machine has. Sometimes it is a month or so before I can get to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.