Friday, March 27, 2015

yamaha keys


This quilt has been on and off the design wall for months!



After sewing 4 rows, I decided I was NOT a hexi girl . . . have you ever sewed hexi rows together?  not. fun.



Then I discovered this pattern:


believe it or not, adding the white strip in the middle is much easier than sewing hexies together.



I wanted to make it look like a piano key board
You have to turn it sideways to see the key board, like this:
Do you see the keys?  (my husband didn't either)  This quilt is for my niece who is extremely gifted on a piano.  I wish you could hear her, her fingers fly back and forth along the keyboard.


fabric is:





My favorite part is that little tease in the binding.




In the quilting process, I got lots of "swirl with a hook" practice.




and match stick practice. 



            Quilted on my HQ Sweet Sixteen.  Have I mentioned how much I love it?  
It's the perfect option for me.








No scraps were left behind, ha ha.







linked:

TGIF
confessions of a fabric addict
  

Just in case your internal clock is wondering the dates of the next Bloggers Quilt Festival, here you go:







8 comments:

  1. I love how this looks - a more modern take on hexies and the white stripe really lifts this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! From the colors to the quilting! I recently made a hexie quilt...but like you, I added the zig zag in between the rows! SO much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great solution to your problem. This has worked out so well. The front and the back both look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hexies, but not necessarily the sewing together bit! Your final layout looks awesome, good choice! I see the keys but I have 3 piano playing kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've sewn thousands of hexies together but all by hand. I think this is fantastic! She will love it. I wish I could hear her too ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once again, you have done a gorgeous job! I can totally see the piano keys and I think ou at a genius for coming up with that! Plus the surprise binding is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is so much I love about this quilt: the creative twist of piano keys, the pieced binding, and the sass on the back. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.