Monday, January 3, 2011

Hamilton's 9 square slash

 Take 9 -5 inch squares, and sew them into a block, slash down the middle, and again across.  Lay your squares out, and randomly toss them.  White Kona sashing makes your blocks pop.  

I love this quilt, it finished up real nice.  I had a hard time letting it go, but it went to the home of our newly married son and his darling wife and I know it will be loved and appreciated.  (Hamilton is the name of their dearly loved pet Hedgehog . . . yes, you heard right).
 This was my first quilt made with bamboo batting.  It is so soft, and light weight.  Please leave me a comment if you have used bamboo batting.


 I love meander quilting.  It is by far the fastest to quilt.  I picked a variegated thread for this one.


 I found a fun new way to add a little more character to a quilt, and use my sacred Heather Ross scraps at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. I love this quilt and all your quilts! And I love your blog! Thank you, also, for the info on pinwheel quilts. Excellent! I am a Linda S. too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow LInda, that looks BIG! I think it looks great. I have never used bamboo batting. What do you think?? do you like it better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nettie,
    I've been working on a quilt for our king size bed for a year now. It's almost finished, but one night this fall, I put it on the bed and we slept under it. It was very heavy. Just a few weeks later, I heard quilters talking about bamboo batting at market, and how light it is. They said that a quilt with cotton batting, will harden in the folds if it sits too long. The bamboo is very light, and cooler for warmer climates (I'm assuming) and nice to work with. I'm using it for larger quilts. I haven't found it in white, though. You can buy it by the package at Joann's. I'd like to get some "long term" info about it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty! I did a similar quilt...same type of squares but only 4 fabrics and laid them out differently. They are in my quilt blog...the "lilac time" quilt. It is a wonderful block and so versatile. I like it with the sashing you did. I love seeing how different quilters use the same block. Always a treat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.