Laura's Fish - A beginner quilt - this post has a lot of good information for the beginning quilter.
Chasing Cottons - 12 week course from beginning to end.
Week 1 - Fabric - Choosing fabric, fabric designers, fabric bundles, Fat Quarters, jelly Rolls etc, Where to buy fabric locally or online overseas, shipping costs.. My favorite online shops etc.
Week 2 - Design - 'Sew as you go' OR the Designer - Using a graph book and planning, no rules.. Books/ blogs/ flickr... all the online sources or inspiration..
- Design Tips with Jennifer from That Girl That Quilt
- Design Tips with Amy from Amy's Creative Side
Week 3 - Cutting - Tools I use, how to cut your material properly, to wash or not to wash, incorporating seam allowances etc.
- To wash or not to wash?? Leanne from Mount Vincent Quilts
- Cutting Tips - with Rachel from Stitched in Colour
Week 4 - Sewing - Your machine, threads, needles, 1/4" foot, seam allowances, joining seams accurately, pins,
- Threads, Needles and Pins, Cindy from Live a Colorful Life
Week 5 - Constructing your Quilt Top
- Part (A) Sections, Chain Piecing..Design
- Part (B)
- English Paper Piecing with Saffron Craig
- Raw Edge Applique with Jess from Twin Fibers
- Stack and Slash Tutorial with Kate from Kate Conklin Designs.
Week 6 - Borders - adding borders the correct way,
Week 7 - Batting - The different types and what each one is used for..
- The Pro's and Con's of Batting - Amy - Diary of a Quilter
- Piecing Batting by Machine Tutorial - Vicki - Sew Inspired
Week 8 - Backing for your Quilt - Different backing fabrics, creating a pieced back, How much fabric required...Check out the Linky's in today's class for tons of inspiration!!
Week 9 - Basting - how to Baste your quilt, spray? Pins? Types of pins? Tape etc..
- Spray Basting Tutorial with Kristie from OCD
Week 10 - Quilting by machine - Straight line Quilting, using a guide, free motion quilting, stitching in the ditch etc..
- How I'm Quilting my QC Quilt!
Week 11 - Quilting by hand - Cottons to use, technique, needles, hoops..
- Hand Quilting my QC Quilt
Week 12 - Binding - By machine or by hand.. or both.
- Fusible Thread and Binding Tutorial from Amelia, Stitch 'n' bits.
Week 13 - Labels - Labeling your Quilt with Krista from Poppyprint
Other good Basic Quilt Making sites:
|Basic Rotary Cutting Tutorial|
The only thing I would add to her tutorial is to press your fabric WITH STARCH before cutting. It gives you a cleaner cut and makes your fabric easier to work with.
Oh Frasson - quilt making basic
quilt making basics, projects, pattern downloads
Missouri Quilt Star Co. - video tutorials
videos for beginning and intermediate quilters, projects
Crazy Mom Quilts - quilt making basics
binding, grid quilting, free motion quilting, quilt pattern tutorials
Film in the Fridge - basic pattern tutorials
straight line quilting, 505 spray adhesive, strip quilts, pillowcases, and other quilt patterns and projects.
Fat Quarterly - index of basic quilt making tutorials online
scroll to the bottom to see the index.