Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Susan Brown bias ruler


Although I'm not into having a lot of tools, I found one I couldn't refuse.  My theory is, if I can do the same thing with tools I already have, I don't want another one.  But I made an exception for this one because it really speeds up the binding process. 

I learned about it while watching this tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company.

1/2 yard of 1 fabric will make enough binding for a twin size quilt, or you can make a scrappy binding using your "left-overs".

Cut your fabric according to the instructions.  Ideally, the ruler is made to cut 2 1/2 in. strips.  I prefer a 2 1/4 inch strip for my bindings if I'm using regular cotton batting.  If I'm using bamboo batting, I go down to a 2 inch strip.  It is fairly easy to make that adjustment with this ruler.

I love a scrappy binding, although this one isn't totally scrappy, there is some order to it.  After you've cut your strips according to the ruler, the strips sew together very easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.