Monday, July 25, 2011

Sherbet Pips Quilt

 I used a charm pack of Sherbet Pips by Aneela Hoey for Moda, and Kona White.

After piecing the top, I sandwiched the quilt together, and used a light weight white for the back.

I found the free motion quilting design I wanted on Leah Day's "Find a Design" page.   Here is the flickr set of all her designs.  I picked "Over lapping Arches".

It's so fun quilting on my new HP Sweet Sixteen.  It stitches so smoothly. 


Remember, I picked a light weight back, because I wanted to do an over-lay with Joann's flannel backed satin (kids prefer the silkiness these days).

I washed the quilt for shrinkage.  After stitching around the edges, I also washed the back.

Then, I pinned the back to the quilt, silky side out, trimmed the backing to match the top, squared-up everything, again, and stitched all around the edge, 1/4 inch.  


Time for binding.  I wanted to try a thinner binding, so I started with a 1 3/4 inch wide strip. 

I thought it would be hard, but it wasn't.  You just have to be precise.  I like the thinner binding, but I think my favorite is still a 2 inch width. 





YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN:


work in progress

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quilt. I really like how you added the silky back. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.