Thursday, May 5, 2016

pincushion tutoral


This is a pretty simple project, but after mass production, I've learned a few tricks that I'd like to remember incase I make more.  

A charm pack makes about 9 pincushions like the ones below.



Cut 1 1/2 inch strips


pick 4 contrasting strips


sew together


 Press all seams in 1 direction.


 cut new strips 1 1/2"


 Lay all your strips out and group 4 together





 then sew . . 


 press seams open (less bulk for pins to go through finished product)


cut a back to match


Sew with right sides together back stitching at beginning and end.   Sew all the way around leaving a 2 inch open on one side, about the distance of 2 squares.  (catch the seam just inside the second square)


Trim the corners being careful not to clip sewing line.


Turn right side out being careful of the seam in the opening.



Push out corners with something like this:


Press




 Be careful to press the opening.


 I filled my pincushions with mostly crushed walnut shells.  I put a wad of batting in the middle.












linked:
crazy mom  (I love the pincushion in Amanda Jean's post this morning.  will have to try this week!)
fabric frenzie friday

3 comments:

Thank you for your comments.